10 January 2007

To Build or Not to Build...That is the Question

Here I am, sitting at my desk having a pomegranate martini feeling a little bit overwhelmed. Why you ask? Leon and I just got back from talking with a Mortgage Lender. We have 6 acres of land we want to purchase and build on right in our back yard and it seems to be out of our range of capability but we both adore the location. I remember being a kid, having no worries. The only things I worried about was waking up with a huge zit on my face, getting good grades and ahhh what the hell, it was so long ago it seems...who knows what I worried about. I really have no sympathy for people who are born into wealth and can't find happiness. I know...money doesn't buy happiness but hell, it sure does make things little easier. I was talking to a friend of mine and this is what she said: "Money can't buy happiness but I do believe being poor can make you sad." Good point. Being poor sucks. Thinking about how you're going to make your next car payment sucks. I've been close but I can't say I've ever been that close. I can't let myself and won't. Worrying kills the soul. We aren't poor by any means. We choose to work hard and we will continue to work hard. The one thing I admire about my husband is he's a great worker...reliable and seldom ever complains. We both work hard and we're hoping it will pay off. Basically if we bought these 6 acres of land we'd have to build a very small house on it. There is more to building a house then anyone can ever imagine. Oh who knows. ~~~Another option which people would say we're crazy NOT to do is to buy 3 acres from my Grandmother. At first it was going to be given to us but she needs the money. It's being sold for 80,000 but my Mom said we could get it for 40,000 and if we do this, 40,000 could be used for our down payment on a house. BUT it's really not where we want to be. But it's practical and we could sell it in 5 years and get our dream home. Well, looks like I know what the right answer is. But I'm not sure what we'll do. The area we are in now is perfect. Close to a city...new jobs, and even more schools in case either of us want to further our education. Well, beyond our Bachelor degrees. Basically our thoughts are consumed with this endeavor. We'll figure it out. All I know is that I really want it to happen soon whatever it may be. It's exhausting but that's just the way life goes. It's the next step in our lives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetie! I Love your pictures! I miss new england!
Ilene